Saturday, March 15, 2008

Big Tests for a Little Girl


Many of you know our little Lydia is.... well, little for her age. We've been taking her to the pediatrician once a month for a weight check to monitor her progress. She's doing okay for height- about 10th percentile, but her weight is what has the doctors concerned. She's not even on the growth curve and not only that, but she is heading downward. She's a good eater, but her allergies keep us from being able to feed her foods that have higher fat and protein content.

Our Nurse Practioner called me yesterday to say that she consulted with two physicians and as a group they felt it would be best to run some test to make sure there isn't a disease process happening. Our test is scheduled at the hospital on the morning of March 19th. They are going to collect urine, blood and sweat to test her electrolytes, blood count, liver and kidney function. They are also going to test for diabetes, Celiac disease and Cystic Fibrosis. We should know the results in 24 hours. If all the tests come back negative we will be paired with a dietician to help us provide the most nutritionally sound meals and adequate calories.

Obviously, this is a little scary. I haven't allowed my mind to wander. I'm just waiting....there is no use in going down the path of "what if". I know God created her body and he knows what is behind this poor weight gain. I just need to trust Him and leave her in His hands. After all, He loves her too!

5 comments:

Amber said...

oh wow, i will most definitely be praying!!! i will talk to you soon

Brandy said...

I am praying for your family and the health concerns regarding Lydia. Also, i am so glad you started a blog! Thank you for sharing!

Unknown said...

Dear sweet sis,

We are surrounding your family in prayer. I love you and my precious niece so much!

Here is a verse I quote when I feel worried about the unknown.
"Do not fear for I am with you, do not be dismayed for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you. I will uphold you in my righteous right hand."
Isaiah 41:10

It even helps me to picture God holding me or one of my children in his hand; protecting us.

love ya much!

Anonymous said...

Hey Reese, I prayed for you all this morning and I'll keep at it. We love you guys.

Susan said...

Bob and I (Stacie's parents (: )
We will be in prayer with you about Lydia's health. Thank you for starting your blog so we can be in prayer with you