Sunday, May 3, 2009

Soulful Bird

A few weeks ago during a cold, rainy day I was washing dishes when this little bird landed on the tree outside my kitchen window. It hunkered down for a while to stay warm on such a dreary day. I couldn't resist snapping a few photos.

I have always loved Mourning Doves. They take me back to childhood memories. I remember laying in my bed as the light streamed through my curtains listening to their soulful call. The best alarm clock nature could offer.

Through the years I've enjoyed watching them nestle down in my flower beds to rest. Their soft hues and gentle eyes have always seemed peaceful. Their presence reminds me of sunny days, warm breezes and quiet, reflective moments.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Reese, I was just talking about this the other day with mom and dad. How we used to wake up to the mourning doves on summer mornings. I love their song!

FilledToTheBrim - Kate said...

First, I love that she calls you Reese :).

Second, random, but what kind of camera do you use?

Marisa said...

Hi Kate! For the Mourning Dove picture I used our Canon EOS Digital Rebel. It was a bit of a splurge for us right before Lucas was born. For that particular picture I used our telescopic lense to take the picture through my kitchen window because it was cold and rainy... and I'm a wimp. Usually I just use a Canon Powershot SD1000. It is a point and shoot and it usually takes great pics. It really depends on what look I'm going for. Hope it helps!

Stacie@HobbitDoor said...

Great shot! You are so talented! I have similar memories of listening to the loons on the lake in the early morning hours! Makes me homesick for the lake!